People of Cambodia

People of Cambodia

The population of Cambodia is 16.5 million people. Approximately 90% are Khmer, the remaining 10% are Tyam, Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, Khmer Mountain, Styeng, and Kui. The main people of Cambodia (95%) speak Khmer, which is considered the official language of the country. Religion is Buddhism, the vast majority are Buddhists.

The country has 14.2 million Khmer people out of a total of 16.5 million living on planet Earth. In the past, they are indigenous inhabitants of Indochina, who were at the origins of the Khmer ethnos while integrating with other tribes of Indonesia. The world famous Khmer tradition is the royal ballet accompanied by an orchestra and a women's choir. This is a musical interpretation of ancient legends and tales, where men are dressed in masks, women use bright makeup. The occupation is farming, trade, and crafts.

Khmer

The Tyam people, numbering 317,000, are settled to the east and northeast of Phnom Penh and inhabit the provinces of Kampong Cham and Kampong Nang. They are the mountain peoples of Cambodia who lead a semi-nomadic lifestyle, grow rice on plantations, and practice rai - burning of forests for further planting of cultivated plants. Most of the Tiams consider themselves Sunni Muslims by religion, they devoutly honor the traditions of their ancestors.

Ethnic Vietnamese (270,000 people) inhabited the islands of Cambodia, live in towns around Lake Tonle Sap and in the Mekong valley, occupy the capital Phnom Penh and the provinces of Kandal, Prey Veng, Kampong Nang. Their main occupation is farming (they grow rice on plantations). In religion they adhere to the Mahayana lineage of Buddhism and differ from other peoples in the style of dress, kinship organization, customs, and other spheres of life.

The peoples of Cambodia are Buddhists

The Chinese represent a large ethnic minority, with five linguistic groups in Cambodia. The bulk is engaged in domestic and foreign trade, while the rest have chosen agriculture and handicrafts. Over the past decade, the Chinese have mastered the service sector, because the islands of Cambodia are attractive to tourists with low numbers of vacationers, affordable prices.

There are 150,000 Khmer people in Cambodia. These people are characterized by features of the australoid race. Their beliefs are animism (belief in spirits and souls), Buddhism, and in the last decade there has been a distinctly Catholic sentiment. In addition to slash-and-burn farming, the Khmer Mountains are engaged in hunting.

The ancient Stieng people (85,000 people) are characterized by a communal way of life where power is concentrated in the hands of the council of elders. The main activity is slash-and-burn farming (rai). The spoken language belongs to the Mon-Khmer branch and differs markedly from the state language. The Stieng people have preserved their ancestral traditions, including the widower's marriage to the wife of the deceased spouse, the remarriage of a woman only to her deceased husband's relatives, etc.

Continuing to list the small peoples of Cambodia, the Kui, of whom there are currently 80,000, are not overlooked. They are Buddhists who have partially retained animistic beliefs. Their occupations are hunting, crafts (blacksmithing and pottery), farming, and forestry. Of the customs and traditions survived hunting dances (as a whole performance), national folklore.

The people of Cambodia are deeply religious, reserved in their behavior, but open in their positive emotions. It is forbidden to express negativity, so it can be difficult to communicate with them. When traveling to Cambodia, it is important to learn the manners and customs of the local natives, so as not to offend anyone through ignorance.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

en_USEnglish
Close